Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Getting Ironed Out

Dear H,

I've been doing a lot of traveling for work recently and my suits always get wrinkled when packed in my suitcase. Please tell me there's some way to avoid this -- I hate having to iron them once I get to the hotel!

Thanks!

Weary of Wrinkles

 

Wrinkles,

The way I see it, you have three options.

Option #1:  Invest in a Garment Bag

Garment bags are designed to transport suits, and also make you look more professional when traveling for work.  Also, they work well as carry-on bags so you don’t have to worry about checking your bag (and possibly losing your suit!)

You can pick up a garment bag at any specialized luggage shop or department store, but I usually buy my luggage from a discount store like Marshall’s, where they sell designer luggage for discount prices.  I got a great Kipling suitcase from Marshall’s last year, though buyer beware:  those stores can be hit-or-miss.

 

Option #2:  Pack Like You Buy

If you absolutely must pack your suit in a suitcase, keep in mind the way clothes are packaged when you buy them; at many stores, they are wrapped in tissue or placed in a plastic garment bag.  Do the same when packing your suit:  use tissue paper as padding when folding your suit, or put the suit on a hanger in a dry cleaning bag before packing. 

 

Option #3:  Wear It

The most foolproof option is to wear your suit on the plane.  Don’t want to look all-business?  Pack the pants and wear the suitcoat with jeans.  The coat is the more difficult piece to de-wrinkle; the pants you can simply iron when you get to your hotel. 

If it were me, I’d pick my battles:  pair the blazer with jeans for the trip, and settle with having to iron the pants.

 

Troubleshooting: Still Left with a Wrinkled Suit?

If you've followed my sage advice, but still have some wrinkles, create a makeshift steamer with the hotel iron.  Hang the suitcoat on a hanger and fill the iron with water.  Holding the iron a few inches from the coat, press the steam button to release wrinkles without applying pressure.  Never put the iron directly on the suit!

 

Hope this saves a wrinkle in time,

H*

 

Readers, what are your wrinkle-free tips? Leave a comment.

*Ask A Question Now*

Email ask.h.blog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment