Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bracket-Busting Style

Dear H,

March Madness is really driving me mad! I'm going to NCAA basketball tournament parties and I want to dress to impress. How do I dress in support for my team but still look trendy? I want to do more than just wear my teams colors; I want to stand out! Please help!

Signed,

March Mad Man

M,

This is an excellent question, and I admire you for looking beyond the typical fan uniform of t-shirts, jerseys, or backwards hats. However, March Madness is one time where I’m willing to forgive a bit of style for fanhood. Though luckily for H, my throwback Ray Allen UCONN jersey looks great as a makeshift shiftdress! (Go Huskies!)

But, if you are looking for ways to really stand out, here are a couple of options that will also have you looking trendier than the rest:

1.) Go vintage.

You’ll notice in many of my posts that I recommend opting for vintage whenever possible, but it works especially well for college gear. You’ll definitely stand out with team apparel that you didn’t pick up at the school bookstore.

Most consignment and thrift stores have well-stocked t-shirt and sweatshirt sections, though if you are looking for a particular school, it may be a long search. eBay is always a great option: a search for “vintage college sweatshirt” came up with many items; try a search for your specific school.

If all else fails, there are few lines that make college gear that is made to look vintage, like Chip and Pepper and Original Retro Brand.

2.) Get a suiting item in your school’s color.

I’m talking blazers, ties, slacks, etc. “Dressing up” in your alma mater’s colors are a sure way to stand out, especially if your school has a crazy color like Carolina Blue or Tennessee Orange. In fact, Tennessee men’s coach Bruce Pearl is a prime example of how to pull this off:

Tennessee Men's Head Coach Bruce Pearl

March Madness is a great way to show off your college affinities with your clothes. One last tip: you may also want to think of a cover-up option to save yourself any embarrassment if your team loses…

Nothing but net,

H*

Readers, where'd you get your coolest college apparel? Leave a comment.

*Ask A Question Now*

Email ask.h.blog@gmail.com