Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Spring-Ready Jacket

Dear H,

After a couple of false starts, in which promises of warmer weather coaxed me out of my home in a spring jacket, only to contract the early stages of frostbite, I have resigned myself to wearing my long, heavy winter coat until the beginning of May. I prefer, though, now to continue wearing the dark cocoon that has surrounded me since November. 

I think that I might have considerably better spirits if my coat reminded me less of the ongoing winter and more of the (hopefully) coming spring time.  Since my usual spring jacket will probably not provide sufficient warmth until June, I need a real spring coat.  At the risk of being too picky, my requirements: warmth--my good spirits depend upon the temperature of my torso; color--less like the dying leaves of my fall coat; style--something more fashionable that a pink fleece please! 

Reinvent my cold weather fashion!  Help me to emerge from the chrysalus as a beautiful butterfly!

Thanks,

Brrrrr

 

Brrrr,

I wish that there was a more accurate way than Punxsutawney Phil to predict the coming spring, but it looks like we may have to endure some chilly weather for a bit longer.

Luckily, there are some good options for mid-weight spring coats that should fit the bill, without ringing up a huge bill:

 

1.)    Trench Coat

Classic trench coats never go out of style, and a trench a more stylish option to fight off April showers than a slicker.  This season, they are coming in a lot of fun colors to help brighten up your wardrobe.

They tend to be light though, so layer with a sweater and scarf while the weather is colder, but a nice cotton trench will help you transition easily when the days start to get warmer.  Try this option from Banana Republic, on sale for $70:

Banana Republic Cotton Trench Jacket, $69.99

 

2.)    Leather Bomber Jacket

You need a signature style to really pull off a leather jacket and not look like you just walked off the set of Top Gun.  A lot of designers have recently done interesting things with leather jackets to reinvent them, such as the Sgt. Pepper/military-type silhouette that names like Tory Burch have adapted.

I know what you are thinking:  leather? Designer?  Not cheap.  You’re right, it is not easily to find an affordable, quality leather jacket, so this option will set you back a bit more. However, if you do spring for one, you’ll forever have great leather staple that will quickly become cool and “vintage.”

While you are contemplating the leather splurge, check out this steal I found on Nordstrom's Web site:  a red leather William Rast coat on sale for $209 (down from $529):

William Rast Leather Jacket, Nordstrom, $209

 

3.)    Quilted Coat

The quilted coat has remained a preppy staple, but it’s a great way to don a lightweight jacket with some warmth behind it (the functional purpose of the quilting).  Those known for their quilted outerwear include Burberry and Ralph Lauren, but there are some  cheaper options out there that are just as stylish.

I normally only go to L.L. Bean for their tote bags and footwear (Wicked Good Slippers, anyone?), but they’ve got a quilted jacket that’s almost a dead-ringer for the Burberry version (minus the trademark plaid), for only $99:

L.L. Bean Quilted Riding Jacket, $99

Note:  As brands like L.L. Bean tend to have a more “classic fit,” order a smaller size to get a more form-fitting shape. 

I hope this advice was helpful…but, I hope more that it proves unnecessary and the weather warms up soon!


Can’t wait to work on my tan,

H*

What's your go-to spring jacket? Leave a comment.

*Ask A Question Now*

Email ask.h.blog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment