Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oscar Party Snacks

Hi H,

I am going to a friend's house to watch the Oscars on Sunday. I would like to bring something or make something that's festive for the occasion. I know there's always wine, but I'd like to do something a little more personal. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Party Pleaser

Party Pleaser,
When I think Oscars, it's a balance between classic and trendy: it's the newest "it" crowd and the most iconic Hollywood names in avant garde fashions mixed with vintage finds, celebrating the must-see movies of the year or some of the greatest classics.
I've got a fashionable food item that is true Hollywood. When I think trendy food, I think cupcakes. Some say this trend is on its way out, but at the end of the day, no one can resist a good cupcake.
My idea: Red Carpet Cupcakes!
It's simply just a twist on red velvet cupcakes:
1.) Grab a box of red velvet cake mix from the store and the necessary liquid ingredients. If you can find red cupcake wrappers, perfect! If not, go for white; the foil ones will clash with step #3.
2.) Bake in a cupcake/muffin pan as directed, and frost with a white frosting. Typical red velvet recipes call for cream cheese frosting, but I would go with a plain vanilla buttercream in this case.
3.) Here's the twist: dip the frosted top of the cupcake in gold sanding sugar:
To put a "classic" spin on your trendy cupcake: cut out a cupcake-size stencil of the following Oscar silhouette in parchment paper, hold it on top of the cupcake, and sprinkle the gold sugar through the stencil to create your very own gold Oscar statue on each cupcake!
And the Oscar goes to....
H*

What's your favorite thing to nosh on while watching the Oscars? Leave a comment.

*Ask A Question Now*
Email ask.h.blog@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi all!!! I wanted to give an update on the Red Carpet Cupcakes. I made them for the Oscars party I attended and was working with a pretty coarse sanding sugar, which was pretty difficult to make a clean shape using the stencil, so I wanted to provide some alternatives:

    1.) If you can find fondant, consider rolling it out and cutting oscar statues or stars from the fondant. Specialty bake shops and gourmet markets will have gold or shimmery edible dust to brush over the fondant.
    2.) Ice the cupcakes using a piping bag with a wide tip, and make a free form star on top of the cupcake, on top of which you sprinkle the gold sugar.
    3.) Good old-fashioned casual cupcakes, with maybe some sugar sprinkled on top.

    I went with #3 and they were a huge hit at my party and work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see these amazing party snacks. Planning to arrange an Oscar party at one of New York venues where will arrange lovely party favors that will be loved by the guests. Have been looking on internet for some amazing ideas.

    ReplyDelete