Friday, February 6, 2009

Stars and Pinstripes for the New Guy's Birthday

Hey H,

Everyone's been raving about your blog so I thought I'd send a question your way! 

I'm trying to think of a good birthday gift to get this guy that I've been dating for a few weeks.  He's a Government major, loves the Yankees, Hillary Clinton, and Banana Republic, and likes to read non-fiction.  He got me a pair of earrings when he came back from a trip over winter break.  I want a gift that says "I like hanging out with you, but I'm not that serious."  Also, I know this is really last minute, but I need to get him something by 8pm Saturday.  Any suggestions??

Thanks!  You're the best!

~Last minute lady

Hey lady,

Clearly, I am also a procrastinator, as I am blogging your question at the last minute possible.  As of press time though, you still have a bit over 20 hours (Eastern) before deadline.

So, it seems like, even after a few weeks, you've got a good sense of this guy's interests--nice job!  I'm not going to touch the Banana Republic one (trying to dress your man says much more about commitment than I think you are going for), but I am going to suggest you give him books.

Books?  I know....zzzz.  But, since he likes to read, you've already got one interest down, and I have two particular books in mind that cover his other interests perfectly.  While books themselves are not that personal, these titles will say "hey, I'm definitely into you enough to recognize your interests, and I'm kinda smart too."


If he's a true Yankee fan, your guy might not absolutely love the sentiments in this memoir, but he will definitely appreciate you for knowing what's up.  This book was just released on Tuesday of this week, and has been the talk of every single sports reporter in the country.  Why?  Joe Torre, perhaps the Yankees most beloved manager, does a good deal of name-dropping, and not the good kind. 

This has been the new Harry Potter of the baseball crowd, and chances are your guy won't be able put it down--that is if he hasn't read it already.


If your guy loves Government and Hillary, there's a good chance he might have read this already, but I'm betting that you college students are just young enough to remember Primary Colors as a movie, not a book.  While technically "fiction,"  this book notoriously satirizes some of the known figures in American politics in the 1990's, most notably the Clintons. 

Definitely add a nice personal touch as well, such as a handwritten note in the books, or a cute bookmark (a photo of you two perhaps?)

You might be last minute, but you certainly know how to read your man,
H*

Any other titles to suggest?  Leave a comment.

*Ask A Question Now*
Email ask.h.blog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment