Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Heartfelt Valentines??

H, 
Do you have any ideas for creative and low key ways for valentines? something that doesnt cost a lot either! 

Thanks!
P

P,

I like where you are going with this question.  I think Valentine's Day has fallen victim to Hallmark (though I do love conversation hearts).  Finding a creative way to say "Happy V Day" without Hannah Montana folding valentines is a great way to be thoughtful while still sticking it to the man.

Here are a few ideas, some homemade, some not:


I really love this option that M&M is now offering.  You can personalize the colors and text (and even add a picture) on your very own M&Ms!  Custom M & Ms are about $35 dollars for 3 7-ounce bags, which you can split up into smaller portions for handing out to multiple valentines.  They also offer pre-printed options for $25.
Note:  You have until Thursday, 2/5, to order custom M&M's for Valentine's Day arrival.

2.)  Make your own cookies and candy--and try some unique packaging! 

The best part of Valentine's Day are some of the sweet treats you get to indulge in.  Why not save some bucks (and maybe even some calories) and make them yourself?  Here is a creative packaging idea:  Chinese food takeout containers.

One year I wrapped all of my friends' Christmas gifts (mostly small trinkets) in Chinese food containers which I decoupaged first.  They make a cute package, and most of my friends are still using their personally decorated boxes for storage on their vanities or desks.  You can go to your local Chinese food restaurant and they will give you a bunch either for free or for a nominal fee.  Also, many party supply stores sell decorative and colorful versions of the boxes.


Not just for mu-shu anymore...

3.)  Cook dinner.

I'm such a foodie, and if I didn't start this blog, I would have written one about food.  If you have one special valentine in mind, there is nothing more romantic than cooking dinner and cracking open a bottle of wine.

I got Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book as a gift recently, and I have been salivating over this recipe, which is PERFECT for a romantic night in, and doesn't require super-expensive ingredients either:

(recipe and photo courtesy of Rachael Ray)

4.)  Buy someone else's homemade goods.

Ok, so you may not be crafty or the next Top Chef.  That's ok, you can always give the guise of making your own gifts buy buying one that someone else made by hand.

I love Etsy right now as an option for buying hand-made wares.  It is an online co-operative where artisans can network and sell their goods, and where you can buy them and support the cause.  They have some great Valentine's Day options right now.

P, hope you don't OD on conversation hearts like I will.

I'M URS,
H*

Have any other ideas for cheap and crafty valentines?  Leave a comment.

*Ask A Question Now*
Email ask.h.blog@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment