Sunday, January 25, 2009

Flip-Flop Substitute?

H,

I wear flip flops 9 out of 12 months of the year, so December through February always make shoe selection difficulty for me.  I either wear my moccasin slippers, or uncomfortable J.Crew loafers that invariably give me blisters after a day of classes.  Can you a recommend a good winter go-to shoe, that is comfortable, versatile, and stylish?

K

K, 

Great question--I too am a flip-flip fiend.  What makes them so great?  They are comfortable, you can wear them sock-free, and they slip on and off with ease.   There are very few winter shoes out there that meet this criteria, but I think I've found a few options for you below.

In addition to the criteria met by flip-flops, winter shoes need also be durable.  In climates where winter months are marked by snow, after-snow salt, and more snow, these elements can ruin a good shoe.  Patent leather is a great versatile material that is also stylish.  It is not totally waterproof, but it stands up to moisture well and wipes clean easily.

This pair from Lauren by Ralph Lauren are currently on sale at Piperlime for $59.99, and one reviewer on the site raves "One word--comfortable!"  


I have a pair of loafers very similar to these that I wear 24/7 in the winter months, and here is a secret:  they are from Target!  Discount stores like Target and Payless are great option for comfortable, low-cost shoes.  Typically at $25 or less a pair, you won't feel too guilty if they only last one winter.  Just be sure to stick to leather or suede options and avoid the synthetic fabrics.

While my wonderful pair of Isaac Mizrahi flats are no longer available at Target, this green shoe below is a great alternative.  They look super comfortable, and the green is a nice pop of color on grey winter days. 



And, while I resisted for some time, I will admit that Ugg boots are pillows for your feet and are perfect for the coldest or snowiest days, especially when you find yourself outside for a long time.  They aren't the most attractive option ,and you certainly won't be setting any trends, but your feet will thank you.  

To flip-flop weather returning quickly,
H* 






*Ask A Question Now*
Email ask.h.blog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment